Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm a (makeup) maaaaaaaaniac

I think I broke my brain, because I'm on an organizing/decluttering binge and can't seem to stop.

Revved up by my latest makeup purchase, I spent some time on the MAC Cosmetics Livejournal Community (not as lame as it sounds, I swear) and watched a few makeup tutorials on YouTube (here's some sassy girl who cracks me up).

Some of the MAC girls' Livejournal posts were about how they organize their massive makeup collections (collections that probably cost the same as a compact car, I might add). And so I pulled my butt off the couch and started looking for a cup in which I could stow my makeup brushes, because in my heart I knew dropping $20 brushes in my cosmetic bag to collect lint was a damn shame.

I turned up nothing. I knew I had to get creative. Before I knew it, I'd pulled this green ceramic thrift store thing* off my bookshelf and arranged my makeup on it. I wiped down the vanity bench, put away less-used products, and organized everything so in the mornings I can find everything easily.

I'm such a dork. A dork with pretty makeup, though.

Here's the full spread. The epicenter of my beauty routine, if you will. I don't have a Before picture, but just imagine a lot of chaos and confusion.

*Seriously, what is it? A relish tray, perhaps?

Thrilling Addendum

In the spirit of being, like, a good blogger, here's what you're seeing in the picture:

MAC eyeshadow in Satellite Dreams (bought at Nordstrom, but I didn't see the color on their website. I looove this color, and it wears like a dream)

MAC paint in Bare Canvas (totally important...I smear a little bit on my eyelids before applying eyeshadow, and it keeps the eyeshadow from creasing or sliding off my naturally oily lids)

LORAC eyeshadow in Harmony
(an impulse buy at Sephora...it's a foolproof, neutral peach shade)

Smashbox eyeshadow trio in Microfilm
(my newest addition, and it's a winner! I especially like the lightest color, which is a fantastic, barely-there highlighter for the browbones and tear ducts. I need to buy another angle brush so I can use the dark brown as eyeliner, though)

Smashbox eyeshadow sets in Beam and Flash (the Beam palette was my first "real" eyeshadow purchase, and it's amazing. I think every woman should own it. The colors are universally flattering, it adds subtle sparkle and depth to your eye area, and it wears so well. The shadows in these Smashbox palettes are luminous and sheer compared to the shadows that come in the eyeshadow trios. They're pretty foolproof and Beam in particular is a great "beginner" palette.)

Sephora Face & Eye Travel Tool Kit (nice-quality brushes for less money than MAC brushes. I cringe when I remember the days of applying eyeshadow with my finger. It looked terrible.)

Blinc Kiss Me mascara (the only mascara I can wear without wanting to rip out my eyeballs. It's gentle in every way, and comes off without soap)

Covergirl powder, $6 at drugstores (applied on top of Olay moisturizer with SPF 15, of course)

No comments: