Sunday, January 6, 2008

Found: Vintage ceramic pigeons

You probably knew this already, but I'm sick to death of bird motifs. I'm pissed that half the stuff on etsy has a bird (usually a swallow, sparrow or owl) slapped all over it, I'm pissed that everyone and their mom buys generic bird art thinking it makes them look deep, and I hope this is one annoying decorating trend that will die soon.

But when I saw these vintage ceramic pigeons at an antique shop in Portland, they called out to me. I looked at them, and no bile rose in my throat like it does when I spy the newest piece of cutesy owl artwork.

And you know what? I love them on a level that goes beyond, "hey, these are pretty." I realize that every craftsy young woman has them. They're not quirky or unique at all. But I'll be damned if they aren't wicked cool. And, uh, I know this sounds really lame but they make me feel peaceful and happy whenever I look at 'em.

No comments: