Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Dear UPS...

I live in a secure building, i.e. one where you need one key to get into the building and another to get into an individual apartment. This is somewhat unusual in Southern California, I guess.

USPS and DHL peeps seem to have no trouble getting into the building and carefully setting packages up against my front door.

UPS guys, on the other hand, don't give a shit. They don't knock on the front door or make any effort to get into the building. Instead they just leave those damn yellow InfoNotices. I was working from home all day Monday, and the guy didn't knock or anything - instead he just left a notice and split. Thanks...thanks a lot.

I got the notice yesterday morning and immediately called UPS to have them reroute the package to my work. I know better than to EVER try to catch them flitting by my apartment building. My work, though - they can waltz right in and leave it at the front desk. Not too hard, right?

However, the package still hasn't arrived. If you live in a secure apartment building, never try to get anything via UPS.

(FYI, this was my first-ever order from overstock.com and I forgot to check who they use for shipping packages.)

3 comments:

drwende said...

It's directly related to the intelligence of your delivery driver. We've had a range at different addresses, from the smart hottie in SF to the one at our prior Phoenix apartment who would knock on the door and run away.

Cardboard said...

Oooh, dang, I have the same problem. If I know the parcel is arrving via UPS, I have it delivered to work. And it frustrates me when a company doesn't say how they ship...grrrrrr.

Colleen said...

I called to complain once when I waited at home all day for a package that never arrived only to discover a yellow note on my front door. The UPS operator actually told me that "often the driver won't even knock/buzz because we know people aren't home so we just leave the yellow sticky." He seemed astonished that I found this unacceptable! I did however succeed in forcing them to send the driver back with the package as I was leaving the country the next day! Now I avoid UPS if at all possible...