Sunday, July 27, 2008

Down with patent leather!

My friend, a young lawyer, throws these fantastic dinner parties that are 50% singles mixers, 50% professional networking events. They are great for meeting people, but I can never help but check out what the other ladies are wearing and carrying. Tonight, what caught my eye were a variety of soft leather satchels and totes - often slung on shoulders. The jury has spoken: stiff patent leather is out and soft, touchable leather is in. Hallelujah.

I didn't have an easy time finding examples that perfectly illustrate the kind of bag I'm talking about, but each of these come close:

The color, shape and softness of this one are perfect, and the humongo studs give it a bit of an edge.

[ Linea Pelle, $180 at Bluefly ]


I love the graphic black-and-white - it keeps the tote from looking schlumpy.

[ Kenneth Cole New York, $158 at Bluefly ]


I have a feeling this bag could double as a pillow. Just watch out for the zipper - it'll leave a wicked line on your face.

[ Linea Pelle, $294 at Bluefly ]

No comments: