Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Anthropoligizing

I've been bad. Very bad. I found the perfect sweater on Anthropologie, and naturally I used it as an excuse to snap up a bunch of other items on the site.

I have a love/hate relationship with Anthro. When I hate them, I talk about how they peddle overpriced pseudo-vintage schmaltz and apparently haven't discovered that models come in shades other than Caucasian.

But when I love them, I luuuuuuuurve them. My strategy is to stick to the basics - the stuff that I wear all the time. Because if I'm gonna wear the same sweater three days a week, it's not a big deal if it's a 68-dollar sweater (shut up, I'm cheap and 68 bucks is a lot for me). I have this cement-gray tank top from them that was $88 or something equally obscene, but I wear it constantly in warm weather so the cost per wear is low.

Anyhoo, here's the damage.

The Holy Grail: A drape-front cardigan in a gorgeous blue. This also comes in green, black, ivory and brown. Now I will finally shut up about trying to find a cardigan in this style - arentcha thrilled?!

Ok, hello. This is the perfect shade of blue for me (my ultimate Joyous Color, as Wende would say), and the structure will flatter my, er, modest bust (side note: How does a woman with a voluptuous bust have two daughters who barely fill a B cup? Genes, I hate you). Also comes in brown, coral and black.

Whoa, orange? How did this make its way into my shopping bag? Ok, I admit I have no idea what this color looks like in person, or how it'll look on me (question do readers: do pale blue-eyed blonds look decent in orange?), but I thought I'd give it a try. Yeah, I live real dangerously. Also comes in black and a weird puce color my sister would like.

Two pairs of earrings (these, pictured above, and another pair that appears to have sold out). I really like Anthro earrings, though their jewelry pricing is particularly wacky. Like, a pretty pair will be $38, and an equally pretty pair will be $228. I guess you're paying for fancier stones, but still. If a bracelet is $300 because its stones were harvested from the stomachs of Andean goats, that's a little ridiculous. I just scan their jewelry sections for pieces that are $40 or less.

And...a cute bag. I have the world's most boring handbag collection, so I figured it was time I mixed it up. I like the yellow and black print, and I can even forgive the bamboo handles. And hey, it's on sale for a pretty reasonable $40. Would it be a faux pas to carry such a summery, bright bag in winter? I have no clue, nor do I care much.

Also, here's two items I considered buying but didn't:


Neat-o jacket. I will always love white and dark blue together.


Pretty skirt. I guess it's a little costume-y and I bet y'all are tired of seeing blue, blue and more blue, but on the right person it would be wicked.

So that's that. In other news, I had a Pap smear (TMI, I know) and today I received a letter saying the results were abnormal, so I get to go in for invasive tests. Here's hoping I don't have cervical cancer!

4 comments:

Mella DP said...

Ditto everything re: Anthropologie. Pretty things though. Your joyous blue is very close to mine. (Nice that it's popular right now, isn't it? Better stock up.)

drwende said...

Your comments on Anthro are exactly how I feel about their housewares.

The orange would be a crap shoot if you tried it on under store lights, too, so just hope to get lucky.

(Those tests generate a lot of false positives, so chin up!)

Marianne said...

Thanks for the reassurance, Wende.

If the orange shirt doesn't work out, I have a friend who's about my size and looks great in all shades of orange. :D

Colleen said...

The purse is fabulous and I would definitely wear it in the winter- that pop of color will make you smile on a dreary winter day. good luck at the doctor!